T-T-T-Time to Learn Letter T and the /t/ Sound!
Try saying /t/ several times. /t/ as in "TOP" or "TAN". Do not say "tee" as that is only the name of the letter and not its proper sounding. Do not say "TUH" either, and we explain why below.
The letter T is another unvoiced consonant sound in the English Alphabet. No vibration is made with the vocal cord when making this sound. All it is, is a quick puff of air being forced out of the mouth.
The mouth position for /t/ is similar to letter D and the /d/ sound. The major difference here is that /d/ is a voiced sound - the sound comes from your throat where a vibration is made using the vocal cords.
Try saying the /d/ (voiced) and the /t/ (unvoiced) sounds to see the difference and pay attention to where the sound is coming from.
T is also a short sound, such that you cannot stretch it out without distorting its pronunciation. You may see the /t/ sound represented as "TUH" at times, however, do not voice the ending "-UH". It does not sound like /TUH/.
For example, you would not say "BAT" as /BATUH/. Here are some example words:
TOP - /t/ /o/ /p/
TIN - /t/ /i/ /n/
TEA - /t/ /ea/
Learning Activity for /t/
- Print the letter T and t on a piece of paper, and also prepare printouts for the following words:
- Show the capital and lower-case T to your child and say the /t/ sound several times. Do not pronounce it as "TUH". Remember, T is unvoiced.
- Let your child practice saying the /t/ sound several times.
- Work on practicing the /t/ sound with the above listed T words.
- Ask your child to find all the /t/ sounds in those words.
- Let's play some sound substitution games.
- What if I replace the /p/ with a /t/ sound in TOP, what word does that make? (TOT)
- How about replacing the the /t/ with a /d/ sound in NET, what words is it now? (NED)
- If we get rid of the /t/ in TIPS and put in a /d/, what word is it now? (DIPS)
- Work on the letter T worksheet provided below, and also read the rhyme.
Letter T Worksheets
Letter T Rhyme and Song
Mat has a pet cat named Tat.
Tat the cat ate a rat,
And Tat the cat got sick.
Mat says: oh no, he's sick, my pet cat Tat.
I have to help my pet cat Tat!
Mat has a bright idea.
Let's get my pet cat Tat to the vet.
The vet gives a shot to Tat the cat.
He now feels better, my pet cat Tat.