ABC Flashcards Printables
Making Your Own ABC Flashcards - Step by Step (2)
In case you missed it, you can download our free ABC flashcards here (provided in PDF format). This page is more about how to go about using those printables to make your own beautiful (and long lasting) flash cards that you can use with your children. Here's a photo of what they look like when finished:
It's actually fairly simple make them. You'll need some basic supplies and we'll go over all of that step-by-step here.
- Color printer
- Card stock paper - 65lb (highly recommended over regular 20lb paper)
- Laminating pouches
- Laminating machine
What to do: step by step
- After you've downloaded our PDF files containing all the flashcards, print them out. You can use regular 20lb 8.5" x 11" paper, but for durability and for a better "feel", I highly recommend using 65lb card stock paper instead. The heavier and thicker card stock paper will last longer, and won't feel so flimsy compared to the lighter paper.
- Cut out all the cards along the dotted lines.
- Once you finish cutting, place 4 cards to one laminating pouch. See image to the right side.
Note: if you'd like to be frugal, you can actually squeeze 6 cards into each laminating pouch, but you'll need to be a bit more careful about their placement and spacing.
- Next, once your cards are placed properly inside a laminating pouch, put all of that into the laminating carrier. Follow the instructions that comes with which ever brand of laminator that you have.
For us, we have a Staples laminator and that works quite well, and is relatively inexpensive. See image above, showing the prepared pouch, laminator machine, and also a carrier.
- Once laminated, cut out all the cards, and you'll have exactly what we have shown in the first photo at the top of this page!
So, there you have it! Now you can make your own ABC flashcards. The cards contain both the upper- and lower-case letters along with colorful images that your child will sure enjoy.
Using our ABC cards is a great way to get young children started with learning their letters, sounds, and it is one of the first steps to learning to read. We have an amazingly effective phonics and phonemic awareness reading program that will enable you to easily teach your child to read.